Sunday, October 21, 2007

rembering Bhakta Seva

I got an email saying that a couple of days ago has been one year since Bhakta Seva's memorial. My first service when I came to New Vrindavan was to assist with the cows and Bhakta Seva was a larger than life presence around them, especially the calves. He was like a mother to the calves - feeding them with a big milk bottle. I can still picture him in my mind's eye.....moving about the calves and showering them with so much love and attention. His other services at that time, and for many years, till he moved to the apartments were cooking the evening offering on thursdays (I think)and dressing Prahlad Maharaj. The evening offereing was a treat, especially the kachoris and the dahi vadas (many a brahmacaris -of my peers atleast- downfall). I remember that he cared for the cows and anyone who took care of the cows so much that he would cook extra kachoris and save them for the cowherders.......
Anyways, Bhakta Seva was a sweet guy and very affectionate, yet he was a pretty private person. The last time I saw him was when I was in New Vrindavan in August 2005 on my way to China. I chatted with him through his window and he shared some bread.
Hare Krishna!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

this is the first I've heard of his passing. Thanks for sharing your memories. I have had several of the same exchanges with him, including the bread passed through the window. I always think of him when I make kichories - 4 cups flour, one stick of butter makes enough for a group of devotees to eat after the offering. I'm writing Gopi on your yahoo email, so please deliver it. ~Love~