Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Cheek Pinching

19 Jun 2007

cheek pinching

Ok! I know it is not pinching someones butt, but Indians (do others do this?), or should I say some people in India, have this really annoying habit of pinching kids cheeks. Well, my experience has been mostly with regards to Vrinda.
There are two kinds of people who fall in this category (1) absolute strangers and (2) people that we are familiar with.
(1) Many a time, we may be walking down the road or squeezing past someone at a store etc and a person would reach out and pinch Vrinda's cheeks. An absolute stranger! the nerve. At first, it used to irk the heck out of me and I would think of reaching out and pinching that person's cheek. (I mean is a child just some object that someone can express their appreciation of cuteness on?)My blood would boil and I would do my best to just calmly react to the situation. Some time later that day or the next the same situation ensues again - another stranger! I would have to go about picnching a nation of cheek pinchers to teach them how to behave. So, I have got into the habit of being vigilant to grab Vrinda out of the way when my cheek piching sensors go up and I sense one of them coming along. I have also taught Vrinda to put her hands over her cheeks defensively.
(2) the other category is persons who we are familiar with doing the cheek pinching. Usually waiters at restaurants that we frequent. sure these are nice guys , who we are friendly with etc. still it irks me. Well, less than when strangers do it. I still try to pull her out of the way or try and stop the pinchers hand.
Nasty habit.

No comments: