Monday, September 10, 2007

Cat and mouse

Dr. Vidya sagar (ocean of knowledge) the head of the oncology dept was in to see Gopi this morning. He mentioned to her that she will need to have a biopsy done tomorrow to check some things in her liver. So, while she doesn't know what he suspects, she is aware that they think there may be something up with her liver. Well, we can't really have a biopsy done on her liver without her knowing it. The biopsy involves sticking a needle into her liver to extract some on the suspected tissue. Gopi hates needles, fears them. So, her main concern is whether it will hurt and the doctor told her that there would be some local anesthesia used.
One time, in jest , she mentioned how she would be a bad junkie because she feared needles. I remember when I was about 8 I had pneumonia and I used to get a shot in my ass every day for a month or so. I didn' tmind it too much, back them at least.
Gopi was in a lot of pain again today. She has no appetite and I have to literally fight with her to coerce her to eat.
Sometimes, I wish they would give her some natural narcotics or opiates for her pain - opium or hashish or something. I mean it's not like these pain killers are any better, with their side effects and all. At least the hash would make her want to eat - give her the munchies... But, then I am not a doctor and the pharmaceutical companies rule the world.

No comments: